Re: [IP] Scope of Disability Law Questioned

In a message dated 04/29/1999 1:02:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< > I agree that some of the complications are life altering.  I'd love to
 > why you think diabetes in itself is.
 There are many things that are limited or inhibited by diabetes and the
 treatment protocols...  Many people with diabetes have made career choices
 based on which employer's insurance covers diabetes supplies.  Many others
 turned down opportunities because of the risk of losing coverage or changing
 insurance...  Many of us have had to alter our career path to adapt to our
 diabetes.  Some have even had to drop educational dreams and plans because
 could not risk being unisured while in school...  >>
 <snip very good stuff>

Thank you for the very wonderful post.  You answered my questions quite

Diabetes has altered many people's lives for many different reasons.  My
heart goes out to you who have suffered.

The reason why I feel differently is not because of lack of understanding of
this disease…

I have been diabetic for almost all of my life (since age 10, I am now 42).
I don't remember life before diabetes.  To me, it is a way of life.  I didn't
have to alter a career because I chose one that fit my diabetes knowing my
limitations.  I didn't have to alter my diet as it was the only way of eating
I knew.  I don't know what it is like to merely pick up and go somewhere, as
I have never done this without preparation.  This list goes on and on.  For
me, diabetes has not been life altering as I have known no other life.

Maybe this makes a difference about how we look at things.  Maybe it is just

This is not to be confused with the question "Is diabetes easy?".  My answer
to that a definite NO, it isn't.