Re: [IP] Young Pumpers

In a message dated 04/29/1999 12:03:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< 3)  I'm very happy with Kelly's control on shots, when we keep it
 between 80-180.  Should we be aiming for tighter control on the pump?  I
 know about the results of the DCCT, but how likely are complications
 with an average Hba1c of 7.0? >>

Mary, sounds like you are doing everything you can for Kelly.  DCCT did not
say how likely complications would be at any level and there are no
guarantees of anything.  I'm glad you are here for support and advice, there
is lots of wonderful people and 'stuff' here.  Lot's of people I wish could
have been my parents when growing up (though of course not old enough!!)

I am not addressing this towards you or anyone in specific, it is one of
those things that I think needs saying as I have not seen anything like this
posted before...

Everything I have read about the DCCT says that tight control is NOT for
children.  I believe I have frequently seen "under the age of 12' on many

I think it is wonderful that parents are putting their kids on pumps to help
them lead more normal lives.   That is the best thing you can do for a child
when fitting in is so important.

I can understand that parents want to do everything possible to prevent their
child from having any complications.

But PLEASE read everything you can before you subject your children to the
problems associated with tight control.  Their young lives are so
unpredictable they are at such a risk for severe hypos.   If you are
expecting them to live a predictable life then you are not giving them a
chance to be kids.

People who have unrecognized hypo symptoms are more prone to having severe
(pass-out, convulsions) hypos.  Repeated occurrences of mild hypos can lead
to loss of hypo symptoms.  Tight control results in more hypos.  If you've
ever seen someone with convulsions you should be wanting to do whatever is
necessary to stop that from happening again.

I see way too many people ignore the seriousness of severe hypos in their
search for tight control.  After 32 years of diabetes I have many
complications and none of them are as dangerous, frightening or quickly
life-threatening than one severe hypo at the wrong time.   Automobile
accidents are one of the leading causes of death yet look how many times
people get in a car each day.  Some risks are worth taking.

Let you kids be kids and teach them how to be happy.  When they are old
enough to participate in their care then work towards the control.  If they
are happy, they will WANT to do whatever they can to stay that way.  If they
aren't happy, they won't care.

My purpose of this was not to offend anyone or to say that anyone was doing
anything wrong.  The fact that you are here as a parent shows how much you
love your children and how you want to do what is best for them.  I just want
people to think about the consequences of their actions.  It's like saving a
penny but spending $10 in the process.