Re: [IP] Scope of Disability Law Questioned

On 26 Apr 99 at 23:17, email @ redacted wrote:

> I've spent my whole life trying to get people to stop treating me different
> because I have diabetes.  Other than things limited by law, there is nothing
> that a diabetic can't do that anyone else can.
> Sara said that diabetes limits major life activity.  Natalie (the other
> "SEra" lol said that it limits many daily activiites.
> I agree that some of the complications are life altering.  I'd love ot hear
> why you think diabetes in itself is.

There are many things that are limited or inhibited by diabetes and the
treatment protocols...  Many people with diabetes have made career choices
based on which employer's insurance covers diabetes supplies.  Many others have
turned down opportunities because of the risk of losing coverage or changing
insurance...  Many of us have had to alter our career path to adapt to our
diabetes.  Some have even had to drop educational dreams and plans because they
could not risk being unisured while in school...

Many "spur of the moment" things get complicated by having to make sure that
you've got sufficient supplies and having to plan ahead...

For many people the constant effort, awareness and even fear of complications
or of missing a shot, bolus or pill takes a mental toll.  This is a
complication by itself that is not reconized by many in the medical community.
There is a large amount of stress accompanying this condition and its
treatment.  When the treatment is very successful the stress still remains.
How many people have talked about guilt and the association with diabetes?
Even though the guilt is not necessarily accurately targeted it still has an

Even today, with the pump, when my son says "Daddy, let's go to the park" I
have to make sure I collect my meter and "crash kit" so it will be in the
car... I cannot just jump in the car and go...

Many of these things are similar to what people with other handicaps or medical
problems encounter - we all have to adapt our goals, plans and activities to
allow us to continue to function.  For some this adaptation is minimal, but for
others there is a long-lasting grief that they were never able to go to
graduate school, get their pilot's license or pursue some other life interest
because of the impact of diabetes...

We cannot downplay this grief held by some in the collective.  We cannot
minimize it or say it doesn't exist.  We can celebrate those people who have
discovered ways around the limitations or who discovered that the limitations
didn't impact them as profoundly.  We can attempt to show each other how to get
around the problems, deal with the grief and stand together.  We encourage each
other by acceptance, problem solving and sometimes just plain listening to
without judgement or fear of being minimalized or marginalized...  We are the
collective of insulin pump users.  We will not be ignored... resistance is

I'd better go check my bg...<g>

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.