Re: [IP] Help with Basal rate please!!!!I can't get it right!

In a message dated 04/27/1999 10:40:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My problem is in the early morning I tend to have a steady increae in
 blood sugar without eating a thing.  I can wakeup at say around 6:30am
 and my sugar will be 95 and then it will steadly increase and by 11:30am
 it could be 180.  So I almost always have to give myself a high sugar
 bolus to combat the raise in blood sugar.  It can range from a .5 to 1.0
 bolus. It never comes back down on its own.  This isn't always the
 case.  Sometimes this happens and sometimes it doesn't.  I have
 evaluated the level of stress during this time and in is the same during
 each day but again sometimes my sugar will only raise 25-40 points and
 sometimes it will raise 80-100 points.  I usuall will not eat a single
 thing until after 12:00pm.  I don't feel hungry until early lunch. >>

I see that Bob and Ted (without Carol or Alice tee hee hee) both responded
with great suggestions for you, here is one more consideration...

Have you taken in to account what you have eaten the previous day for dinner
and snack?  Protein and fat metabolize into sugar but at a much slower rate
than carbohydrates do.  If I eat a high fat dinner or a lot of protein in the
evening I will see the effect on by bgs the next morning.

As for adjusting your basals... have you read Pumping Insulin?  This book
describes a good method for making adjustments to your basal rate.  If I
remember correctly, one of the things it stresses is to not be too quick in
making changes.  Try not to be discouraged.  Look at what you have gotten