Re: [IP] Scope of Disability Law Questioned

In a message dated 4/26/99 7:29:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< What they don't see about diabetes is that insulin DOESN'T correct the
 condition, and DOES limit not one but many daily activities. >>

Sara said that diabetes limits major life activity.  Natalie (the other
"SEra" lol said that it limits many daily activiites.

I agree that some of the complications are life altering.  I'd love ot hear
why you think diabetes in itself is.

Diabetes itself limits different people to different extents.  You may be
lucky enough to have perfect control but most cannot achieve this whether
due to poor medical advice or due to individual and uncontrolable body
functions.  I didn't mention immune system  reactions to infections and
wild bg swings caused by emotional stress.

Those who are not on MDI and carb counting who adhere to a couple
injections per day and a strick "meal plan" with snacks *cannot* perform
work where time to eat or availablity of food is uncertain and work
schedules and demands are unpredictable (most small business today).

For me, a pronounced dawn phenomenon limits what I can do in the first half
of the day.  I'd like to see most people function normally and at peak
while waiting for the symptoms of 15mmol/l - 25mmol/l bg's subside over the

I've been Type I for 25+ years and for anyone to generalize and say: "there
is nothing that a diabetic can't do that anyone else can"  indicates gross
ignorance of the disorder.

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!