Fwd: [IP] Gestational Diabetes

In a message dated 4/26/99 8:18:48 AM EST, email @ redacted writes:

<<   YOU try raising THREE diabetic kids and then come back and
 joke about it  :-(
 Kelly  >>

I agree!!
Sometimes everyone needs to release pressure,especially when you have to deal
with your kids having this crappy disease.Even with pumps , it doesn't make
them forget how different they are.
I agree, its a better way to treat them, but they are still different and
sometimes have problems dealing with it.    Doreen-mom of 2 pumpers
ps. ignore the rambling. I haven't slept in two days due to Jess site
infection, Joes coughing and now his catheter fell out last night. So we have
bgs of 600 and mod. ketones. ( I've already called our endo!!)

-- BEGIN included message

In a message dated 4/26/99 8:43:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< << .  I know I didn't DO anything to give them diabetes but when
  you end up with THREE of them, it does make you wonder why.  Just a
  little guilt trip here, I guess.
  Kelly >>
 Two of them makes you wonder, too!!      Doreen-mom of 2 pumpers

Thanks Doreen,
		It's good to know someone understands.  I realize the
genetics of it and all, but when you have NO family history on either side
and then WHAMMO!! Three diabetic kids (out of a possible 4), it makes me look
past the genetics and consider environmental possibilities.  I know that
knowing WHY (if I ever do) won't change anything or make it any different, it
is just something that I wonder about sometimes.  I don't consume myself with
it, nor do I dwell on it, but being in the same situation yourself, I'm sure
you can understand why I think about it sometimes.

		I ended up with type 2 from YEARS of taking steroids to
control my asthma.  The steroids gave me glaucoma too.  Our endo has told me
that if I wasn't predisposed to both of these conditions they would not have
been brought out as permanent conditions solely by steroid use.  Steroids
will produce higher blood sugars and raised ocular pressure as a matter of
side effects but both of these should resolve upon discontinuation of steroid
usage.  Well, they didn't and now the big D and G are here to stay.....we
have NO family history of type 2 either OR glaucoma either.  Believe me, I'm
no idiot and I understand completely the workings of genetics here, but when
you have NO family history anywhere to support it, I find it hard to let go
of without a reason.  As a mom in the same situation I'm sure you understand.

		As for the person who made the "breech birth" joke....it
wasn't funny.  YOU try raising THREE diabetic kids and then come back and
joke about it  :-(