Re: [IP] Scope of Disability Law Questioned

email @ redacted wrote:
> In a message dated 4/26/99 7:29:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> << What they don't see about diabetes is that insulin DOESN'T correct the
>  condition, and DOES limit not one but many daily activities. >>
> I agree that some of the complications are life altering.  I'd love ot hear
> why you think diabetes in itself is.

I probably should have said "intermittently".  The reason is, that when
you're in a hypo, you probably don't perform many of those life
activities very well!!

I don't ever want to meet a hypoglycemic driver going the opposite

In addition, many of us don't function real well when we're high, either
-- I spent a year from hell trying to do my job before I was finally
allowed to go on insulin! Not one of my first-year Japanese students
signed up to continue into second year because I was such a bitch!!

So I spend a lot of time and energy thinking and planning how to avoid
highs and lows -- and I'm sure most others with diabetes do, too -- even
if it's not successful all the time!

Maybe part of the issue is whether an intermittent, and sometimes
unpredictable disability is really a disability, as opposed to one
that's there all the time!

Admitting you have a disability doesn't mean you can't have a full,
active life, or that you can't do pretty much what you want to (look at
the blind and amputee skiers -- would you claim they're not disabled
just cause they can ski?? *I* can't even ski!), but it does acknowledge
that you're dealing with conditions that other people don't have to
think about, and that you're adapting and finding ways AROUND your
condition, not that it doesn't exist.

I think it's time that we educated the public to the fact that diabetes
DOES have a major impact on our lives, and not always positive, and that
we work HARD at having a good life and being responsible workers and
citizens. I don't think pretending to be "normal" is really very
productive when it has the result of the public thinking that diabetes
only means taking a shot and forgetting about it.

I hope this clarifies my thinking a little bit!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted