Re" [IP] Gestational Diabetes

In defense of Jeff's comment on Breech Birth...I think he was still on
the thread of what doctors have told people about how they got
diabetes...such as from worms, eating too much candy, etc.

However, I can't say I understand what you are feeling, having no
children yet myself.  I can say, being the child of a mother who was
made to feel guilty...it make me feel bad too.  When I was 4 and my mom
was told this, the doctor made the mistake of saying this right in front
of me.  I always felt like it was my fault my mom felt guilty, if I
hadn't gotten Diabetes, she never would have felt bad.  However, I never
blamed her for it, and when I became old enough to understand more about
diabetes I realized the doctor had been a big quack.  I have always been
grateful to my mom for    everything she did for me.  I know it must
have been hard day in and day out worrying about me.

On one note, she did the best thing when I hit my teens.  I had friends
from camp, and high school who had parents that still treated them like
4 year olds when it came to having diabetes.  One child even at 17 had
no control over his bank account and everytime he was given cash, he had
to bring back a receipt for everything he bought with it.  Their
philosophy was that he wouldn't have a chance to "cheat" on his
diabetes.  But it was very hard on him, and he felt like he had no trust
or control.  On one excursion he had a hypo and we went into aa store to
buy some juice for him, and he told up to make sure we had a receipt for
him that had the time correlating with the blood test machine.  So that
his parents would understand why he was buying a single serve OJ!  That
always shocked me.  My mom was great.  She figured that I knew more
about my diabetes at age 12 then she did.  My entire childhood I was
running around doing every summer activity imaginable and always seemed
to keep the bgs relatively under control.  We had figured out when and
why I ran hypos and learned how to counteract them.  As much as those
first few years much have given her a few gray hairs, she still tried to
help me become more independent about my diabetes.  She knew that I knew
the consiquences of eating a Snickers bar and figured I would do the
right thing.  99% of the time I did.  The 1 snickers bar every great
once and a while never seemed to kill me.  It is because of this
independence I did really well in college. I know a lot of diabetic
children who were heavily controlled who either went to school very
close to home so that their parents would still have control, and others
who went far away and had a lot of trouble adjusting.

I guess it comes down to the terrible parental event of "letting go."  I
think with diabetic children it is even tougher. That first day of
preschool, kindergarten, and college I am sure hit my mom like a ton of
bricks, but like most of the mothers on this site, she also had faith in
me.  It is this confidence she had in me that helped me to be the person
I am today.  I love my mother for everything she went through, and I am
sure that if you ask your kids...they won't blame you and in fact they
will tell you how impressed they are in how much you have done for them.

SOrry so LONG!
- Sherry Webb Nolan <teary eyed right now>