Re: [IP] Gestational Diabetes

In a message dated 4/25/99 7:29:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Mmmm, you snipped the relevant part of my quote: TYPE TWO is more likely
 to occur in those who were small babies. Plus notice I said low weight
 for gestational age. That does NOT include preemies -- the majority of
 preemies are the right weight for their gestational age, but just come
 too early, and so don't fall into that category of being at risk for
 Type 2 later in life (unless there's a family history of Type 2).
 Type 1 and Type 2 are TOTALLY different diseases, and the size of your
 babies had exactly nothing to do with their developing Type 1 diabetes.
 They just had the bad luck to have the genes which predispose them to
 autoimmune diseases AND have it triggered for some reason -- but the
 reason wasn't anything that happened during your pregnancy, nor was it
 their prematurity.

Thanks Natalie,

	I understood what you meant and I was just making MY OWN speculation
here about my kids.  I am completely aware of the total difference between
type 1 & 2.  I was just making a speculation as to whether their prematurity
could have been part of what predisposed them to diabetes.  I know it needs
to be triggered and I know EXACTLY what triggered it in each one.  Chicken
pox in one, severe bronchitis in another and tumor surgery in the last one.
The reason I took that particular part of your quote was because it was the
OPPOSITE of what I had always wondered and I found that interesting and
rather relieving.  I know I didn't DO anything to give them diabetes but when
you end up with THREE of them, it does make you wonder why.  Just a mother's
little guilt trip here, I guess.