Re: [IP] Gestational Diabetes

email @ redacted wrote:
> In a message dated 4/25/99 2:09:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
>   it's more likely to occur in those who were SMALL babies -- i.e. low weight
>  for gestational age (not preemies). But this low weight is NOT the
>  result of gestational diabetes -- babies of mothers with gestational DM
>  are large, like over 9 lb.
> You know, I've heard this too, however, I have 3 boys with type 1, never had
> gestational D (but now have type 2) and two out of the three were preemies
> (8weeks early & 7weeks early) (1 was normal 7lbs)...Although I've been told
> differently by the endo, I've often wondered if being preemie had anything to
> do with their developing the big D.   :-(
> Not that it really matters now, but I have wondered.

Mmmm, you snipped the relevant part of my quote: TYPE TWO is more likely
to occur in those who were small babies. Plus notice I said low weight
for gestational age. That does NOT include preemies -- the majority of
preemies are the right weight for their gestational age, but just come
too early, and so don't fall into that category of being at risk for
Type 2 later in life (unless there's a family history of Type 2).

Type 1 and Type 2 are TOTALLY different diseases, and the size of your
babies had exactly nothing to do with their developing Type 1 diabetes.
They just had the bad luck to have the genes which predispose them to
autoimmune diseases AND have it triggered for some reason -- but the
reason wasn't anything that happened during your pregnancy, nor was it
their prematurity.

Me, I didn't have gestational diabetes, either, but still got it at age
44 -- and got a weird type that didn't respond to sulfonyureas -- I lost
30 lb., got down to top end of normal weight, and it STILL didn't go
away -- them's the breaks!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted