[IP] Our successful Gala

Dear IP-ers:
    Just wanted to share with all my cyber-friends that the Philadelphia JDF
chapter raised at least $850,000 last night (probably closer to $900,000) at
our annual GALA fund-raiser. Since JDF gives 86 cents on every dollar to
research, that's a MEGA success compared to last year's event which raised
$250,000! It was a herculean effort on the part of the meager staff,
committed committee members (myself included) & lots of other people who DO
care about seeing diabetes CURED! Since our WALK to CURE DIABETES also raised
$1.2 million last September (compared to a mere $92,000 the first year
Melissa & I participated in 1992, right after her diagnosis), this is an
UNBELIEVABLE fiscal year for the chapter!
    More importantly, a video was shown that was made last fall featuring
about 10 local kids with diabetes, talking about their life with diabetes -
how it feels to be high, to be low, to be different, etc. Melissa appeared on
screen several times & even commented (unknown to us at the time of filming)
that she owed a lot of her success to the support of her parents! With actor
Alan Thicke ( parent of a son with diabetes) acting as emcee, Melissa and the
other kids then came out on stage & assisted in calling off guests' bid
numbers, as they voluntarily contributed yet again to a research grant, in
honor of the businessman being honored that evening. Within 10 minutes, that
single event had raised $140,000 of the total. I wish I could effectively
articulate the excitement in these kids' eyes, as they looked  out over the
audience & saw these strangers pledging thousands of dollars to help
ameliorate their lives.
     Lastly, just had to share, that I saw an elderly JDF board member &
asked how his granddaughter was doing. He smiled & said she's about to go on
the pump....and that ever since he heard Melissa & my friend's daughter speak
about their pumps at a WALK corporate recruitment breakfast 2 years ago, he'd
been persistent in steering his grandchild toward that goal.......
    So despite all the infuriatingly DUMB comments we all hear about
diabetes; despite all the doctors who resist, rather than embrace, the input
from an empowered, enlightened, informed patient......we pump-proponents ARE
making a difference in ripple-like

Regards, Renee