Re: [IP] Weird BGs

Natalie, I bet you forgot that tofu had lot of protein.   About 3 or 4
hours would be just about right for some of that protein to be converted to
sugar.  So you did good with the CHO but don't forget the protein.  A good
starting place is about 1/3 to 1/2 U per ounce of protein with the bolus
given an hour or two after eating.  Just so that things don't get so easy
for you, I find that different kinds of protein get converted at different
rates :-)
Yes, the H is probably all gone in you by 4 hours.  The "average" duration
of a humalog bolus is about 3 hours.  BUT that is only for a small bolus.
If you take a big bolus the tail of that curve can almost double to 5 +
hours.  This is a bigh YMMV thing, so you've got to know what constitutes a
"big" bolus for you.
Sounds like overall, though, you're having fun!

<<From: "Natalie A. Sera" <email @ redacted>
Yesterday, I ate some inari-zushi, which is made from fried tofu and
vinegared (and sugared) rice. I estimated the carbs and bolused
At 2 hours PP, I was 102, and I thought I was doing fine, but FOUR hours
PP, I was 191.  Weird!! I took a correction bolus, and it brought it
down, but I was REALLY surprised that my BG had gone up so late!
Inari-zushi has SOME fat in it, but not all THAT much, and I really
don't know what would explain the delayed rise.
If indeed, it was caused by fat, does that mean that Humalog is pretty
much gone for me in 4 hours? That's what I think, but want to verify it
with experienced people! :) I assume that the 2 hour reading of 102 was
because of the bolus, and not because of delayed digestion.>>>>>>>>

* Wayne *