Re: [IP] question

Hi Elizabeth,

I started on a pump when I was 15 -- 17 1/2 years ago.  Pumps then were
both simpler and a lot more problematic since needles and infusion sets
were not so refined, there was no human insulin, and we had much poorer
info about control -- no carb counting at that pint.  Pumps are easier in
that you are not wed to a schedule and can mostly be more spontaneous,
but harder in that they require constant problem solving and calculating
and if you mess up and don't do anything about it (i.e. miss a bolus or
overshoot a bolus) the problems happen quicker and more severely than
they do with shots where you have more carry over insulin.  My experience
was that of the group of early pumpers I started with (mostly teenage
girls), those that did well and persisted had a realistic picture of the
work involved.  Those that gave up and had lots of problems seemed to
have expected pumping to make diabetes less work.   As long as you have
(or do the research to get) a realistic picture for yourself, it is
probably a great idea.

If you need to convince your endo of your readiness, you could try
manuevering from the other end.  What I mean is, start by doing the work
to demonstrate you know how to calculate etc.  You could do this by
getting a copy of Pumping Insulin, figuring out ( using your current
doses, schedule, body weight etc) likely basals and boluses for yourself,
filling them in in the book, and then logging a mock day with real blood
sugars, writing in what you would have done with the pump for boluses,
etc.  I think this would be pretty convincing evidence you are
responsible enough and ready enough to handle it and, if you really plan
on having a pump, you will need to learn all this anyway so you might as
well start now.

I don't know if that helps any.

Good luck!