Re: [IP] Velosulin Pumpers, I need your help

email @ redacted wrote:
> I am on a pump but I use humalog.  I have a good friend that started pumping
> a few months ago and she is using velosulin.  Her endo refuses to give her
> humalog because it isn't FDA approved for pump use.

Too bad she has an idiot for an endo. I'd tell her to tell him that Humalog
fits the needs of pumps and pumpers precisely. The FDA approval is NOT needed,
as with ANY drug they have approved for use by humans.

I suppose he absolutely refuses to use aspirin to avoid heart problems? Some
amaze me in their stupidity. The FDA has only so many people to oversee the
and Eli Lilly apparently doesn't see the need to waste the time and money on it
most pumpers are using it anyway, such as nearly everybody here.

She can't change endo's
> because of her HMO.

Sounds like she needs to change her endo's MIND.

She has been asking me if I knew anyone who has great bg
> control while using velosulin in the pump.

There are several here, most noticeably Bob Burnett who is allergic to Humalog
and had to give up using it a while back. It STILL is harder to control than
with Humalog, and leaves her prey to the same problems non-pumpers tend to
have: need for snacks between meals to keep the "ail" of the R or V from
giving them a hypo before the next meal.

>From my viewpoint Humalog is the best thing that's happened to pumps!

If you could please write me with
> how it is working for you then I will pass it on to her (maybe she could even
> e-mail you with a question or two).  She says her bg is consistently under
> 200 and is within normal limits when she is fasting.  She doesn't have luck
> with her bg after she eats a meal.

Sounds like she needs to ask the endo how much he'd like to be sued for for
malpractice, since Humalog has been PROVEN successful, and the FDA can NOT
rule out it's use, it only says it hasn't been tested.

Ted Quick