Re: [IP] question

In a message dated 04/19/1999 11:19:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<much good advice snipped>
<< Educate yourself as much as you can about the pump. Buy a copy of Pumping
 Insulin and read it cover to cover (see the books page of the Insulin
 Pumpers web site for a link to the amazon purchase page).  >>
<more good stuff snipped>

That was wonderful advice.

I didn't mean for my post to sound negative, just realistic.  As wonderful as
pumping is, there are frustrations, evident in all the posts about sleepless
nights, emergency set changes, not to mention the insurance hassles, exchange
policies, tape irritations, etc.

There are many many responsible young people out there, and Elisabeth is most
likely one of them.  The reason why these kids are so responsible is because
they learn as much as they can about things, process the pros and cons and
then decide what is best for them.  I just wanted to make sure that we didn't
give the impression of it being all candles and roses.

I have met so many people in my life who, when they find out that I have my
pump, say that their brother,  grandma, friend, (whoever) should get one
because they are having difficulties mixing insulin, adjusting doses,
counting carbs (whatever).  The fallacy with the pump is that it will make
everything easier.  If a person cannot figure out how to adjust their dose
using a syringe, they surely will have problems with a pump.  If they aren't
willing to test now, this may create problems with the pump.

Of course, if someone is here, they are concerned about their control, are
intelligent enough to want to do something about it.  Nebbermind.