Re: [IP] Re: Hearing Loss

On 19 Apr 99 at 18:21, Sam Skopp wrote:

> At 06:06 PM 4/19/1999  email @ redacted wrote:
> >How about vibrations like some pagers use to alert people to  "no delivery"
> >or other pump problems?  Just an idea
> Sounds good to me... however, I wonder if there are technical limitations.
> Pagers and cell phones typically use much larger batteries, so a vibrator
> alarm might cause rapid battery drain on a pump. It would be a good question
> to ask, though.

In pagers the vibrations are caused by a little weight that is oscillated using
a gadget that is like a little motor - and it eats batteries.  They also cause
more wear on the rest of the mechanism because in order to make a vibration you
can feel that little thing has to really shake becuase it doesn't weigh much...
If one of these was put on a pump you could have several problems, including
decreased battery life, more mechanical problems, and it would also shake the
insulin up and possibly cause more bubble-in-the-line problems.  The pump would
also have to be larger and heavier...

> I wonder why pumps can't be designed to use rechargeable battery packs. You
> could have one charging while the other is being used... just swap them out
> when the active pack ran low.

The old pumps used nicad battery packs and they had to be changed at least
every day.  Most of the current rechargable battery systems are bigger than the
little cells that power the pumps today.  To get a simliar voltage and current
response from nicads, lithium cells or other rechargable systems the battery
pack size would be larger, they would require a specialized charger and
conditioning circuitry in the pump.  The biggest probm that I see is that if
your pack went dead in the middle of the day you couldn't run to Radio Shack or
Wal-Mart and get replacements...  The overall cost would be more expensive and
a lot more trouble for the user than the current replaceable battery systems.

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.