Re: [IP] How many days to use an infusion set

At 8:44 PM -0400 4/14/99, email @ redacted wrote:

>For the last couple years, I have been successfully leaving Sofsets in a
>maximum of 7 days.  I have never had an infection.  The site is never red or
>tender.  I have not noticed changes in absorbsion.  Never had a problem.

Hi Marilyn,

I have a friend who regularly leaves her sets in for about 2 weeks. I know
she doesn't use Comforts because she can't get that kind of longevity with
them, but I'm not sure what sets she uses.

The one caveat that keeps me from going longer than 3-4 days with a set is
concern about long-term tissue damage, which could compromise absorbtion.
This concern started after the experiences of another friend, who, after
pumping for about 13 years, started to have serious absorbtion problems. So
much so that she was staying on the pump for basals, but was having to
inject her boluses (Humalog).

Now, I don't think this particular woman kept her sets in for an inordinate
amount of time, but it got me wondering about the long-term health of my
adipose tissue!

I talked about this with my doctor (who is also a pumper) and he nodded
emphatically. His feeling is that if you have any kind of a bump or nodule
at the site when you remove it, even without redness, you've left it in too

Now, as far as I know, there aren't any studies or anything out there about
this potential problem and we're talking about long-term damage, not
infections or anything. And, like almost everything with DM, I'm sure the
type of absorbtion problem my friend had will affect some people when it
never happens to many others. It's just something I keep in mind, trying to
use the pump as long as possible!

(Type I, 26 years, D. pumper since 10/95)