[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #81

> From: "Elisabeth C." <email @ redacted>
> I went for my check up today, and my A1c was 8.8 which is good for me.  For
> the past 6 months or so, I have been asking my doctor about the pump
> and she has been somewhat ignoring the idea, saying things such as I
> need better control, when I have brought my A1c down from 12.5 in not
> even a year!  Well today, she said I don't need one right now, but
> that they usually recomend people for the pump when they are about a
> junior in high school!!  What do you all think about that?  Also, she says in makes
> life more
> complicated not easier.  I don't agree.  Any thoughts on this subject would be
> greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
> Elisabeth Corns

I'd say those are pretty weak arguments against going on the pump.  And, I'd say that
if you are committed to lots of blood sugar testing and meet other requirements for
going on the pump, you should consider it.  Dropping your A1C from 12.5 to 8.8 is an
amazing improvement--way to go!  Does your doctor have other reasons she doesn't want
you to use a pump?  Does she have other young patients who use pumps?  It might be
helpful to talk to some other people your age who are pumping succcessfully.  It's
important to have a physician who is supportive and available in terms of pump therapy,
so you may have to consider changing docs.

Best of luck to you.  Keep us posted.