Re: [IP] question

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Elisabeth C. wrote:

> Hi all.  I don't write on here often but I have a question.  I went
> for my check up today, and my A1c was 8.8 which is good for me.  For

8.8 is a lot better than 12.5 but.... If you look at the results from the
DCCT, the hugh improvements in complication reduction came from reducing
hba1c's from your level down to 7.2 or so. Were talking 50 - 65 %
reductions in complications of all types. See the web site LINKS page for
ammunition for your arguments.

> the past 6 months or so, I have been asking my doctor about the pump
> and she has been somewhat ignoring the idea, saying things such as I
> need better control, when I have brought my A1c down from 12.5 in not
> even a year!  Well today, she said I don't need one right now, but
> that they usually recomend people for the pump when they are about a
> junior in high school!!  I thought that was some what insane.  I do

You are right, the doctor is in the dark ages. I won't comment on the
sanity part except to say that I think it disgusting that someone
actively trying to keep themselves healthy is being discourged by a
so-called medical professional.

If you take a look at the KIDS page of the web site, you will see over 70
kids listed there. I stop keeping track of them at 15 to 16 years of age.
Of the 70+ kids, only 3 started pumping at 16, the rest are younger. Of
those half started pumping at 9 or under, half of that bunch started at 6 or
under. My own daughter started at age 11. We looked for a pump doc and
told him we wanted a pump on the first visit. He asked for a
demonstration of 'want' from Lily on the next visit a couple of weeks
later and the pump was "on the way" (Thanks Dr. Joe).

> not want to wait another 2 years ( I am currently a freshman ).  What
> do you all think about that?  Also, she says in makes life more
> complicated not easier.

Again, you are correct. A pump will make your life a lot easier.

I don't agree.  Any thoughts on this subject
> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

These thoughts come to mind. Give the doc one more call and tell him "I
want a pump. If you won't help me I will find someone who will, what's it
gonna be." After that, or maybe right now!, call MiniMed and Disetronic
and order the videos if you have not already. Ask for a referal to at
least 2 pump docs in your area. Ask for the names and numbers of the pump
trainers for your area. They will know the doctors that prescribe pumps,
who the patients are, and the ages of their patients -- another resource.

Educate yourself as much as you can about the pump. Buy a copy of Pumping
Insulin and read it cover to cover (see the books page of the Insulin
Pumpers web site for a link to the amazon purchase page). Become you own
most vocal advocate, don't take no for an answer.

Remember... If you need encouragement, we are a keystroke away.