Re: [IP] Re: Hearing Loss

email @ redacted wrote:

> I'd like to thank all of you who made light of my question regarding hearing
> loss.  The reason I had asked is that Monday night I had refilled my
> reservoir with insulin and had put it in the suspend mode.  Went to bed never
> returned it to operational mode and also NEVER HEARD THE ALARMS
> THAT GO OFFWHEN IT IS IN THE SUSPEND MODE.  I woke up with a bs
> of 372 after having no insulin from 10:30p to 6a.

Yeah, I was reminded of all the times I told people that my master's
degree is in special education of the deaf, and they'd go "What?"

Deaf people DO experience a lot of discrimination, and are the butt of a
lot of jokes -- in some ways their disability is more severe than
blindness (although the blind get an extra tax deduction and the deaf
don't) -- because it affects their ability to interact with other
people, which is the REAL essence of being human!!!!

OK, off soapbox.

DM doesn't usually cause hearing loss -- the only exception is a
mononeuropathy affecting the sixth (I think) nerve -- but that kind of
mononeuropathy usually resolves.

If you're concerned about your hearing, by all means, go have it tested.
I think everyone should have their hearing tested occasionally anyway --
because if it IS in decline, you need to be prepared to take care of it!

Good luck!

Natalie ._c- (sig. file got corrupted and I have to figure out how to
fix it!)