Re: [IP] Re: Hearing Loss

Sam Skopp wrote:
> At 06:06 PM 4/19/1999  email @ redacted wrote:
> >How about vibrations like some pagers use to alert people to  "no delivery"
> >or other pump problems?  Just an idea
> Sounds good to me... however, I wonder if there are technical limitations.
> Pagers and cell phones typically use much larger batteries, so a vibrator
> alarm might cause rapid battery drain on a pump. It would be a good
> question to ask, though.

The vibrators in pagers are just a small motor with an eccentric cam on the
end that nakes it wobble. Probably needs more power than the pump can easily
provide on a constant basis, but how often wuld it actually be needed for
> I wonder why pumps can't be designed to use rechargeable battery packs. You
> could have one charging while the other is being used... just swap them out
> when the active pack ran low.

I think the problem with rechargeable batteries is that they usually go for so
long then suddenly have a rapid drop in power output when about half drained.
That would make them rather poor for pump use, since the Low Bat warning would
likely be sudden and urgent without much time remaining to replace the batteries
short of total shutdown. Besides which they develop a "memory" problem which
to the battery holding less and less charge as time goes on, and losing so
much potential in a relatively short time that they would be worthless as  a
long term strategy.

Ted Quick