Re: [IP] question

At 03:19 PM 4/19/1999  Elisabeth C. wrote:
>saying things such as I
>need better control, when I have brought my A1c down from 12.5 in not
>even a year!  Well today, she said I don't need one right now, but
>that they usually recomend people for the pump when they are about a
>junior in high school!!

This is just my opinion: the doctor doesn't know anything about pumps and
does not want to appear ignorant. Therefore, he/she will find 10,000
excuses why you shouldn't get one. I've heard of a number of situations
where the doctor said that he couldn't recommend a pump because control was
too bad. Then when control improved, they were told that the pump wasn't
needed because control was so great. Not only a classic "Catch-22", but
totally without a medical basis!!

To my mind these are excuses, not medical reasons based on science. The
reasons I've seen posted here almost seem arbitrary... if they were at
least based on some medical evidence, I could accept it. We have 5 and 6
year olds pumping... surely a HS freshman can handle it.

My advice would to be to inundate your doctor with pump information (have
your pump reps help you). If that doesn't work, find a doctor who is not
afraid of new technology.