[IP] Little Computer

After a few people commented on my "bad" case of diabetes when
I got my pump, I thought I would try and turn a bad thing into a
good one.  I now refer to my pump as a small computer that gives
me my insulin.  I explain to them (many diabetics on shots) that I
can now delay meals, ride a bike or exercise for hours at a time,
and generally live a lot better with a very busy lifestyle.  I also
made sure that I had a blue pump so that it did not look like a
medical device that I depended on (even though I do).  If you
approach things from a different and up-beat attitude, people view
you better and act positively toward you.  I know that most people
on this list are positive, proactive people (or they would not be
here).  I have just realized that sometimes it 's just the words or
descriptions of the same thing can cause people to react
differently.  Just watch some of those info-mercials that convince
you of absurd things.  Anyway I just wondered if others had positive
ways of explaining their diabetes and pumps?  I especially like the
people who name them.  If everyone could get out the word that
taking care of yourself is good thing, we would all benefit.

Michael O'Hara
Galehouse Construction