Re: [IP] Re: Hearing Loss

In a message dated 4/18/99 3:09:34 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I'd like to thank all of you who made light of my question regarding
 loss.  The reason I had asked is that Monday night I had refilled my
 reservoir with insulin and had put it in the suspend mode.  Went to bed
 returned it to operational mode and also NEVER HEARD THE ALARMS THAT GO OFF
 WHEN IT IS IN THE SUSPEND MODE.  I woke up with a bs of 372 after having no
 insulin from 10:30p to 6a.
 Again thanks for making light of it.  My next step is to request to be
 removed from the list.  Life is too short for this kind of aggravation and
 insensitivity. >>

I apologize for making light of your question re: hearing loss being caused
by DM. Since you didn't elablorate, and because DM has never been documented
to cause hearing loss (to my knowledge), I thought it was another one of the
"complications" of DM such as gray hair, etc. No, it isn't fun not to hear
the alarm go off. I once stopped at a Hardee's in Rochester, Ind., and it
wasn't until I got home to Terre Haute about four hours (and a jelly biscuit)
later that I heard the "no delivery" alarm. Perhaps MiniMed should make the
alarms louder, as I have mine set on the longest time and still rarely hear

As for making light of DM and all that goes with it, my opinion is that if
you don't laugh at it, you may as well just roll over and let the world get
you down.