[IP] Discretion

Kathleen,  Iwas diagnosed before we had the blood montoring machine that we
could do on our own to me this is great.  I'm now 39 have diabetes for 35 yrs
not ashamed of it.  How a person does there bg is there preference but its
not mine the public needs to be educated about blood sugars

I think that maybe a further explanation of my stance is appropriate.  None
of this is meant to scare just to inform.  Please it is what happened to me
whether you think I was right or wrong.

I was 16 when diagnosed.  When I first came home after the hospitalization I
was treated like I was a leper.  My sisters would leave the kitchen if I came
in.  All of a sudden no one would eat at home anymore.  All teenagers at the
time.  My dad even though he never said anything also never looked.  It was
better to keep it to myself.  My grandparents and friends would ask me are
you going to do that here?  I received disgusted looks from all of those in
my close circle of friends.  No one was interested it was something teenagers
didn't do.  I urine tested for only a few weeks before I got my first
monitor.  But that whole scenario horrified me.  Blood testing I thought
allowed me more freedom.  I would go into the bathroom at home.  With four
girls sharing one bathroom there was no privacy they would always walk in.
that stopped after I developed diabetes.  People would hide what they were
eating.  They wouldn't go to the movies with me, I mean they might have to
eat popcorn and drink a soda in front of me.  My boyfriend wouldn't take me
out if I was "going to do it when we went out."  How do you go to the prom
for so many hours and not eat or test?

I was shunned and made to feel ashamed for having done nothing.  I was
supported by my mother but it wasn't enough to protect me from those who
didn't understand and who didn't care to.

I am a type A personality and things have to always be done right and to the
best of my ability.  So in my mind as wrong as it may seem, I decided to stop
doing it all.  I stopped taking blood sugars, stopped taking insulin and
stopped eating.  I became anorexic.  I almost killed myself.  I ended up
first in Joslin for 2 weeks for counseling and to get me back on shots.  Then
in a hospital for 4 1/2 months.  I lost a whole semester of college and
literally destroyed my life.

So I guess my point is we should lead by example we should show those who are
newly diagnosed that there is a time to educate and a time to be discreet.
To me the originally OP was saying there is no reason to ever do it in front
of others and I think that is wrong.  Anorexia is developing high numbers in
young girls with diabetes.  They don't want to be different.  The more people
we educate the more pressure we take off the next generation.

That is my opinion and only my opinion.  But I would never want to see
someone go through what I have.