Re: [IP] Social progress???

Kelly... I am in South Dakota... the HIV rates here are low, the injected
drug rate is medium and as long as you're over 12 you can buy syringes
without a prescription... now here's where we differ... I fully support
over the counter syringe sales and also the needle exchange program... it
has been shown to be highly effective in controlling blood borne life
threatening illnesses... the drug user is the one who makes the decision to
use drugs and this is not the point I am arguing... what I am saying is
that overall, the studies that have been done show that these programs are
very effective... additionlly, if an addict has to turn in his needles to
get new ones, there is less of a chance of them being left in public as a
disposable item because they are worth something being turned in... I would
like to suggest a book to you... "Reckoning" by Elliott Currie to help you
with your cause...

might I suggest that your local diabetes organization get involved in
needle disposal issues... to me, the waste and packaging for diabetes is a
horrible crime... when you look at how everything is use once and tossed,
the mountains of plastic are rediculous, including the wrappings and stuff
that a pump uses... around here, we do not have a needle disposable
program... the hospitals won't take your personal biohazards and the board
of health tells you to wrap the tide (or hard plastic) bottle well in duct
tape, tape seal the lid down and label it biohazard... into the trash...
now a smart addict will go to the dump and look for these jugs, laws or no
laws... so I don't see how limiting access to syringes by prescription is
going to reduce the drug issues and just makes life harder for diabetics...

in legal actuality, having syringes sent in from out of state to circumvent
the prescription requirement is illegal...

as far as insurance, going 5 months with 3 diabetic kids is horrible, but I
have never had health insurance, so have to pay cash for everything and my
credit report is a disaster... I'm sure that if syringes were availible to
you without a prescription, they would be more affordable... around here,
they are very competitive on pricing... if wal mart is selling syringes for
5 cents less then k mart, k mart drops their price 10 cents...

to me, the problem is cutting off your nose in spite of your face... the
actual problem is getting people not to drug, not to limit access to
medical supplies for people who need them to live...

Ellen B-C

ps... I grew up in Newark NJ (big time iv drug area!!!), so this is not
just the ramblings of a country bumpkin... *S*