Re: [IP] Social progress???

In a message dated 4/17/99 8:54:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< they just did a story about drug users
 having access to insulin needles... an elected official feels that the best
 way to end iv drug use is to make insulin needles illegal!!! the flip side
 of the story was an interview with a diabetic and the politician said that
 diabetics will just have to find a different way to get insulin in them
 because the drug problem affects more people then a 'few' diabetics...

	I'm interested in two things here....What state was this in?  Are
insulin syringes sold by prescription in your state?  The reason I'm
interested in this is that I live in NYC and in NY State you need a
prescription for them.  It's weird though cause I can order them from a place
in Ohio (listed in Diabetes Forecast) and have them sent without a
prescription.  Anyways, the point here is that we have a community problem
here that I've been active in trying to stop and that is a Needle Exchange
Program for drug addicts!  Some morons in the community and one hospital feel
that having a mobile unit to go to known drug areas and exchange dirty
needles (hand in ONE get THREE new ones back!!!!!) will cut down on HIV.  Now
thankfully NONE of these areas are near my home, but NO area should have to
be subjected to this type of insanity!  If I need a prescription to buy
syringes for my 3 diabetic children, why do the drug addicts get them #1
HANDED TO THEM and #2 for FREE!  Now I've been told by the mental midget
who's spearheading this idiotic idea that diabetics can participate in this
program if they want.....so now let's see......hmmmmmmm...... I can take my 4
children to a drug infested neighborhood, and stand on line with the addicts
and when it's our turn at the needle truck I can get 3 new syringes for every
ONE I hand in!!!  oh joy :-(  NOT IN A BILLION YEARS!!!!!   Nobody has handed
me free syringes even when my husband's union was out on strike for 5 months
and we lost medical benefits (a story in itself) and NOW I have to tolerate
drug addicts getting free needles to shoot up while I figure out how to buy
180 syringes a month for 3 children?? (that # will be cut in half as soon as
Stevie gets on the pump) but still, this INFURIATES me.  I printed out the
original post about what that ignorant politician said and I'd love to have
the whereabouts to show my councilman who's helping us fight this NAIL AND
TOOTH.  Thanks for letting me VENT!!!!!