Re: Test Proudly! (Was Re: [IP] Blaming Diabetics)

In a message dated 4/16/99 10:03:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I feel it is very important ESPECIALLY for the kids to test in front of
 around other people.  Eventually they will be in a situation where parents
 are not there to help and they will need to feel confident about themselves,
 and not like they have some terrible disease that they need to hide!!!!!!

	I have to tell you that I agree with you 1000% on this one!  I always
(When only Steven was diabetic till now with all 3) made the boys feel
comfortable with testing WHEREVER they needed to for EXACTLY the same reason
you state.  I never wanted them to feel self-conscious about themselves about
testing if I wasn't with them.  Steven was only 5 at dx.  My other boys were
dx'd at 9 & 10...still young enough to be with me most of the time, but now
as time marches on, Steve is 8, Brian is 11 and Billy is 12.  I know that if
they needed to check themselves without me there they would be not only very
capable, but confident and responsible about it.  I've instilled in them the
proper precautions when testing and they handle the task most carefully and
efficiently.  I'm proud of them and comfortable with them branching out on
their own.  They NEED that independence and I NEED that confidence of knowing
that they will test as necessary without feeling self-conscious and if anyone
else has a problem with that, then it's THEIR problem, I REFUSE to make it
mine or my kids!  You definitely have the right idea!!

Take care!