Pump Progress (was)Re: [IP] One step closer for Alex

    Thank YOU for letting us all know success stories like this. What keeps
me coming back here ( aside from Sam & Sara's wit, Randall's sermons,
Barbara's expertise, etc...) is knowing what a difference we can all be
making in a child ( or an adult)'s life by encouraging, by empowering, by
supporting those who seek a better life with diabetes. I had lunch yesterday
with 7 other moms with diabetic kids- sort of a "free group therapy" session
( other than paying for our lunch!!!) 4 of us had kids on pumps & the other 4
were relating scenarios that we pump-moms no longer had to confront ( like
watching your child be excluded when a classmate's mom brought in cupcakes
for a birthday an hour after lunch). I turned to one of them & said "THIS is
the critical INTANGIBLE that the doctors never see when they're scrutinizing
bg records.....they never see the tears held back, the haunted & hunted look
in the mother's eyes, the wear & tear from the unrelenting constancy of
living by that @$#%* CLOCK, etc etc. Even if pump therapy WAS harder than MDI
( which I don't believe it is), it would be worth it if for no other reason
than to LIBERATE a child from that UNNATURAL way of life. Yes, many children
with severe chronic illnesses do not lead normal lives - nor does anyone
expect them to, when they are clearly handicapped or physically limited in
some way.  Our children, fortunately, CAN act & look normal......why then
shouldn't physicians be encouraging them to benefit from "state of the art"
options which deliver a life style more in keeping with their capabilities?
   Ok..off this morning's soapbox!!  Hugs to you and Alex!!!

Regards, Renee