Re: [IP] "Fizzy Tablets" (for fun)-inaccurate test results

In a message dated 4/15/99 2:36:56 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<they went from blue (negative=good) thru green,
then orange, then all the way to a dark brown(=Bad) Either my betz cells are
misfiring (quite possible) and the memories are fading, or I was "badder"
than you all who remember just the orange :-) >>

I worked for a short period in a lab at a military hospital in the urine
chemistry section, and I got reported and criticized for finding too many 5%
results.  Our protocol called for doing a more sensitive test when the first
test had "passed through" the orange and gone to brown, but nobody else
looked (including the boss), and all would report that result as 1 or 2% and
never do the test that showed it to be 5%.  I of course knew how frequently
it really happened because I (like others have mentioned) was always either
negative(blue) or all the way to orange or farther.  I finally got the Ames
rep to back me up on it in a staff meeting -- up to then they just didn't
believe me.  It was one of the experiences that have made me take all test
results with a grain of salt.

Or a grain of sugar.  The other day I was doing a bs test 20 minutes after
taking DEX tabs to bring up a low, and got a reading of 326.  After washing
my hands it was 74.

Linda Zottoli