[IP] Pump knowledge and reaching out.

Fran Baumgartner wrote:
> Sad!  Yet another for the archives.  Thank God for this list and all it's valuable information so we
> may as intelligent as we need to be and to educate those nurses and doctors.  :-|

The only sad part is that WE pay mucho bucks to educate THEM when they
should be paying US!!!!

At least my pump trainers did have some general idea of what they were
doing, even if they didn't know MY specifics. And since all the supplies
were delivered to me at my home, I had everything I needed, except the
Humalog, which I totally forgot!!!  (Face red!)

But I live a 5 minute drive from the hospital, so I just ran home and
got it.

Last night I went to the support group, and no one else showed up -- but
the facilitator was the person responsible for monitoring psychosocial
adjustment to the pump (that idea amuses me!) and she's a really neat
lady, so we spent a lot of time chatting about various things relating
to diabetes, kids, pumps, menopause, the ignorant public, etc. etc.

I told her that I'd like to get involved in the kids' camp during the
summer -- I'd love to teach them origami -- that's fun for any age, and
Japanese brush calligraphy. I'd also like to be able to help newly
diagnosed DMers -- I remember what a huge shock it was to me, and I'd
have LOVED to have someone reach out to me.

So she put me on a list -- thinks I'd be a great role model! Well, I
dunno about that, but still, I'd love to reach out to kids. (I'm a
high-school teacher -- you'd think I'd get enough of them, eh??)

So it was a fruitful session, even if there were no other pumpers there!

Type Weird, pumping!
mailto:email @ redacted

Can you find the ugly duckling? (Hint: it ainít the pumperduck!!)