Re: Test Proudly! (Was Re: [IP] Blaming Diabetics)

I feel like I'm in the minority here re: testing in public...but here goes:
Diagnosed 13 years ago at age 17, I have never 'tested in public', 'out in
the open' where just anyone (other than family) could see me stabbing my
finger, and squeezing a drop of blood out!!  I find it to be somewhat
offensive to expose the general public to bodily fluids.  I don't see the
need for it, since it is very easy to set the meter on your lap, and 'do your
thing' without making it a public presentation.  If it's an emergency, and
you are testing for lows/highs, of course test, test, test no matter who's

In addition, I'm a Registered Nurse <grin>  and am also discreet with
checking patient's blood sugars, when they have a roommate.  Often times, the
roommate is eating their dinner already while I'm checking the blood sugar,
so I just pull the curtain a little.  There is no need to go out of your way
to expose blood!  Some people just can't handle the sight of it...lol   All
of my coworkers know that I test myself frequently, as they see me in the
breakroom with my meter (case discreetly hiding my BLOOD strip), and they've
received the 'informal education' about my insulin pump (thinking it's really
neat, by the way! ;)

I guess WITH UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS........I feel that the general public
should never feel exposed to a stranger's fluids.

I'm sure I'll be blasted for this one!! ;)
Diana   **  IDDM dx'd 4/86    **   pumping since 3/10/99