In a message dated 04/13/1999 10:08:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< > Just around the time I was diagnosed in 1971, there was a big
 > piece in the newspaper about how implantable pumps were five years
 > away.
 > Yup, still waitin'...
 > Shaun
 Still waiting for an implantable pump?  I knew a guy who had one in the VA
 area about 10 years ago.  Can't remember if he was a study participant or
not, but
 he definitely had one.  So I know they exist.

Back in 1991 I was *almost* selected for a study on the implantable pumps.  I
had gone through all of the tests and psychological work ups.  The MD in
charge of the program was excited to get an experienced pumper in the program
(I have had my MM for almost 4 years by then) and pretty much assured me that
I was "in".  I was rejected by the dietitian.  I hated to cook and my diet
reflected that.  She did not feel that I would be a good participant.

This bummed me out for quite awhile then I got to thinking... what good is an
implantable pump if there wasn't continuous glucose monitoring?  Of course,
there was the chance for better control but it sounded like such a hassle
when you got down to it.  You still had to carry the transmitter around all
the time.  If there was a problem, surgery was required.  There was enough
insulin in your body that would kill a horse if released.   Not to mention
the hassles of being in the study.  Of course I would have loved to have been
in the study, just sour grapes.

I'm not going to get too excited about the implantable... I will wait until
they come up with a closed loop system, continuous glucose monitoring hurry