[IP] trigger finger

Does anyone know exactly what trigger finger is and what might cause
it?  I was told yesterday by my CDE to see a doctor because that what it
sounds like I have in my middle right hand finger.  I was thinking I
might have Carpal Tunnel is that the same thing? Is this a compl;ication
of diabetes- I've had it since my last pregnancy and just thought it was
related to it but I guess not since that was 2 years ago. Sheila