Re: [IP] more beginner questions....

In a message dated 4/13/99 2:53:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< How does one know when it needs to be changed?  Is it just a matter of
 I'm just worried about infection. >>

Always make sure the area and your hands are clean before changing.  Don't
touch the catheter or insertion needle.  After inserted, keep you hands away
from the site, keep it as clean as possible.  Since they recommend changing
every two days, this is a good starting point.  If the site becomes red or
sore, change it sooner.

After you remove the set, check the site.  If it looks read or is tender, you
have left it in too long.  If you haven't had any problems with leaving it in
two days, you can try it for 3 days.  After awhile you will figure out what
is best for you.

I find that if I sweat a lot or get real dirty that I have to change the set
much sooner than normal.  This means that I have to change more frequently in
the summer than in the winter.