Re: [IP] Walk For The Cure...kids are so literal

In a message dated 04/12/1999 7:50:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< But mom, what day will I die,
 because I have 'die' abetes?"  I almost threw up!  This poor little
 child had been waiting for a month to die! Something she didn't
 understand >>

it is easier being the diabetic than to have to be the parent of one.   Even
now (I am 42), I think I handle my complications better than my mother.

I was dx'd at the age of 10.  Old enough to understand what the doc was
saying but not old enough to really understand.  At this age, I never thought
about dying.  My doctor told me that a diabetic could live at least 20 to 30
years beyond diagnosis if properly cared for.  I'm sure he was trying to
offer encouragement to my parents (a boyhood friend of my father's died from
dm in 1927).  Looking back, I see how harmful those words were.  I always
lived my life as if I would die by the age of 30 (taking his words
literally).  When I finally turned 30 I had no idea what to do with the rest
of my life.  With the help of a wonderful therapist I was able to put my life
back on track again (including getting the pump!) and now look forward to the
next 20 to 30 years (and beyond!).