Re: [Re: [IP] Walk For The Cure...kids are so literal ]

email @ redacted wrote:
Barb:
     Poignant smile of recognition here.....when Melissa (then 9 1/2) years
old was told by her pediatrician that she had "DI-ABETES", she immediately
asked "does that mean that I'm going to die?" Both her doctor and I cried
with her & then her doctor explained "no - but it does mean you'll have to
live your life differently"....So yes, I've known from the start that kids
tend to "hear" only the first syllable, and have repeated that story to other
flabbergasted parents over the years.......
>>>When my son was about 7 yrs old he said something very similiar to me.Out
of the blue one day he said,"Mom you are going to die", of course a little in
shock, I composed myself and asked,"why do you say that?" his answer
was,"because you have Die-abetes!" He also once said all diabetics looked the
same, once again I asked why he said that, his reply to this was," We all had
big sad eyes!" I have never forgotten these statements,I wonder if he
has,especially since he was diagnosed at the age of 15!
Denise
dxd 1971
pmpg 5/97

Regards, Renee