[IP] Walk For The Cure...kids are so literal

>I want!"  What a sad little boy I had to explain what a "walk for the
was about.  He swore he would never do a walkathon again.  He thought
concept was "stupid".  <

When I read about the 'Walk for the Cure', I was reminded of when Erica
was diagnosed just after turning four years old.  One night almost a
month after diagnoses, I could hear the bedroom door open  and she
slipped into our room in the middle of the night. She had spent the
first 3 weeks in our room.   I  took her into my arms, and carried her
back to her bed to cuddle her.  She was very restless and began to ask
questions about diabetes.  More than she had in the previous month.
While holding onto me tight, she asked "Mommy,  what happens when I
die?"  I thought this was sort of a strange time to have this type of
discussion, but I gave her the going to heaven talk and meeting her
grandfather etc.  She was quiet for a long time, but she started to
sniffle and in a very soft voice said " But mom, what day will I die,
because I have 'die' abetes?"  I almost threw up!  This poor little
child had been waiting for a month to die! Something she didn't
understand  I was physically ill thinking how her poor little mind must
have been churning all that time. After explaining diabetes didn't meant
'dying', we both cried and I spent the rest of the night holding her
REALLY tight.   It is difficult to put it on paper again it was so heart

Just thought I would put MY .02 worth...which in Canada with exchange
rates would be worth .00$US
Hope this is not something that anybody else's child went through.

I wonder if any of the adults can remember if they thought the same
thing if they were very young upon diagnoses.

ps.  Erica is still doing GREAT!