[IP] Re: support and weight

> From: Donna <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Living like a DMer
> I don't think it would hurt for family members to go through that either.  My
> husband didn't fully understand when I first started taking shots and would cry
> for 30 minutes prior to actually getting up the nerve to take it.  He would tell
> me "Its not that hard"  He stopped doing that once I told him that the next time
> I go to the diabetes center I was asking the nurse to give him a syringe and
> saline and tell him to do that to himself.  He has gotten a lot wiser in the
> last 5 months!
> Donna

When I was diagnosed (age 16) and in the hospital for diabetes ed./bg stabilization, my mom
had to learn to do injections on me and on herself.  She injected herself w/o batting an
eyelash, and it was a very powerful statement of support.  I agree--all adult family members
and other key support people should be willing to try it.

> Kim Lopez <email @ redacted>
> Concerned friend of an insulin pumper. Like to learn more about what he
> goes thru. I live in Southern California with my two cats.

Kim-Thanks for being supportive of your friend.  In being aware and educated and sensitive to
him, you will extend those gifts to all of us who live with diabetes.  That's a great thing.

> > Jen
> > I've alway's gottem defensive when called brittle because I equated with a put down that
> > I couldn't take better care of myself when I was doing the best I could. No denial on my
> > part I ant the responsibility for my own diabetes. Sheila

To me, it's kind of like calling someone a cripple.  It may describe someone's condition, but
it certainly doesn't convey that they have any power to make the best of a difficult
situation.  I don't have any difficulty with saying a person has diabetes that is difficult
to regulate; that describes the disease, not the person.  The connotation of "brittle" is
that the person is fragile and the situation is fixed.    Jen

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] weight gain
> I too was wondering about the weight gain of adolescence. My son was
> diagnosed in Dec. At the time, he was about 85 lbs. He now weighs 103! He
> feels very uncomfortable about his weight too. Nothing has changed, except
> his diabetes!

Remember that part of that weight is probably catch up for weight he either lost or failed to
gain before diagnosis.  I lost 8 pounds before I was diagnosed, then gained about 15 pretty
rapidly after going on insulin.  Keep an eye on weight/activity/insulin data for awhile, and
you will probably get a better idea of what's going on with your son.