[IP] Re: various

> How about a "fixed" meter for them -- it could be programmed to show
> high BGs AND low BGs on a random basis, and then they'd have to
> compensate for them?
> Like, sorry, I know you're hungry, but your BG is 320 and you can't eat
> now!!! You better go find your syringe and "insulin" and shoot up! Or,
> you're currently at 33 and dropping, so you have to stop EVERYTHING
> you're doing, and eat some candy, and then sit quietly for a half an
> hour, because you are totally non-functional at the moment. Not to speak
> of calculating EVERY meal and snack!

I was involved in a weekend camp for families of kids with diabetes in VA, and we
did a similar thing with parents.  Parents were "given diabetes" for the weekend,
and the kids were responsible for helping take care of them.  We (the staff
members) went around handing out notecards to the parents that said things like
"time for your shot" and "you need to test now.  you're feeling confused, and your
tongue feels like it's falling asleep."  The parents injected saline and
experienced some of the inconvenience of lows/highs/etc.  The kids were able to see
how difficult it can be to "look after" a diabetic.  But some of the parents
refused to participate, because they feared the blood tests and injections.

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #45/healthy eating
> Jen,  I agree with you about eating healthier.  I guess I abused my
> own non-diabetic children by bringing them up eating healthy foods.  I think
> we set the tone for how our children eat by what we feed them growing up.  My
> children, as teenagers, went through a stage of drinking Dr. Pepper and
> eating candy, but my one grown child now eats very healthily for the most
> part.

When I was a (non-diabetic) kid, I hated my mom's health food fanaticism.
Certainly, I rebelled at times.  But I think it made the adjustment much easier
when I became diabetic, and I feel grateful to her now for instilling those habits
in me at a young age.  I'm not a purist, but I eat healthily and happily most of
the time.

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Diabetic Mastitis(?) and foot pain
> being as we are blaming diabetes----- my 5yo son is very bright but very hyper
> and diagnosed with ADHD. Have been told by family members that he probably has
> ADHD because I took insulin while
> pregnant. Talk about make you feel good.  Why not blame the diabetes for him
> being so smart????
> Tonya S

Did you point out that all pregnant mothers "take" insulin, either by pancreas,
injection, or pump?

> From: "Sherry Webb Nolan" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #49
> No longer running?  What a shame.  I went in 1993 and had a great time.  i
> would have loved to go back, but the state of new jersey made a point of
> sending two new people every year.  good idea to get everyone involved...but
> I would have loved to go back.  :)
>  Sherry

Sherry-Wow!  I can't remember if my last year there was '92 or '93, but I'm sure we
met some of the same people.  Yes, most states sent different people each year.  I
lucked out by going to college in a different state, so I was able to sneak in
twice.  Then I was elected to a position and was able to remain involved that way.
It was such a great, life-changing program for me.  Really set the tone for my life
as a diabetic.  E-mail me back privately if you'd like to chat more about it.

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Diabetic Mastitis(?) and foot pain
> << They told you your hair wouldn't perm because you had diabetes?  >>
> Curly hair here!!! Hmmmm ... maybe my hair curls because I *do* have DM.
> Imagine those poor straight-haired people who would like to have DM so they,
> too, can have curly hair.  :-)
> Jan

Me too!  And, of course, it became curly only after I was diagnosed. ;)  Amazing!
I think we have a theory here.