Re: [IP] A moment to Vent

In a message dated 4/11/99 5:01:45 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< A friend of mine, lost a lot of weight, and was able to go off her insulin
 completely. Maybe if you lost weight ...
 My (fill in the blank family member) went on this diet, and no longer has to
 take insulin
 Making these suggestions, really do hurt sometimes.  I know it is a lack of
 education.  But there is no educating these people sometimes. I have tried,
 but the "myths" about diabetes has been around for so long.  And the fact
 that most diabetics, get diabetes later in life, and is either diet or pill
 controlled. Only 5 to 10% of the diabetic population is type 1. >>

It isn't just type 1s who have to take insulin. Nearly half of all type 2s
end up on insulin. I'm a type 2 and if I don't have exogenous insulin in me,
I can get pretty sick. Happened to me the other day when I forgot to
reconnect after a shower, and I hadn't had *anything* to eat that day. I
noticed that Elvis (my pump) wasn't attached after I'd run to the bathroom
several times and the nausea was setting in. I've had many people tell me I
should go on this diet or that diet and not eat carbs, etc. Sometimes that
doesn't even work for the other 90- to 95 percent of us.  :-)