Re: [IP] Blaming Diabetics

In a message dated 4/11/99 4:33:16 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  How does everyone handle the increased blood
 sugar checks since getting the pump?  Do you "Duck" into a bathroom to do
 them or just wherever you are?   How do "onlookers" handle this?? >>

It depends on the circumstances. I've checked it in front of the class while
volunteering in first grade: I've ducked into the bathroom during business
meetings. I have a good friend who's squeamish about it, so I prop my menu up
in front of me while I test. I've not had many adverse reactions, but I don't
stand on the table and tell everybody to watch, either. In some cases, I may
even test with my meter on my lap. Reactions range from the children at my
grandson's school coming over to my table in the cafeteria and asking me to
"get some blood out of my finger" to (mostly) total indifference. One that
was funny involved a doctor: I was interviewing him and he knew I hadn't
eaten lunch yet, so he insisted that I eat a sandwich. When I whipped out my
meter to test, he asked what it was -- I told him -- and he left the room.
Some servers have observed me testing, looked at my pityingly and said: "Oh,
you're a diabetic. You can't eat sugar." (Just watch me ...) So I suppose my
answer is, in a business situation, I'll duck into a bathroom. Any other
time, I go ahead and test where I am.