[IP] A moment to Vent

I am getting so sick and tired of the following comment:
A friend of mine, lost a lot of weight, and was able to go off her insulin completely. Maybe if you lost weight ...
My (fill in the blank family member) went on this diet, and no longer has to take insulin
Making these suggestions, really do hurt sometimes.  I know it is a lack of education.  But there is no educating these people sometimes. I have tried, but the "myths" about diabetes has been around for so long.  And the fact that most diabetics, get diabetes later in life, and is either diet or pill controlled. Only 5 to 10% of the diabetic population is type 1.
Arg... I'm at a lost for words
Christene Ullom
email @ redacted