>In a message dated 4/10/99 1:09:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
><< But to label someone "brittle" seems to me like taking away their
> power to control what they can. >>
>Actually, I think they are labeled "brittle" because they CAN'T control their
>BGs, no matter how hard they try.  I don't believe it is a make believe term.
> Stephen was considered (and maybe still is) brittle because his test to test

I agree with you... I have always been brittle. I can do an eat exactly the
same things two days in a row and have totally different BGs. The pump has
helped a lot (the swings are narrower), but it's still there. I also go
through cycles... on the upside I need larger basals and on the downside I
need lower ones. The boluses need to change accordingly too. No pattern to
the cycles... they can last for months at a time. This is part of the
reason that I do not like the term "non-compliant". Fortunately, this term
also riles up my doctor too.