In a message dated 4/10/99 1:09:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< But to label someone "brittle" seems to me like taking away their
 power to control what they can. >>

Actually, I think they are labeled "brittle" because they CAN'T control their
BGs, no matter how hard they try.  I don't believe it is a make believe term.
 Stephen was considered (and maybe still is) brittle because his test to test
numbers fluctuate wildly, even if he takes the same amount of insulin, eats
the same and has the same activity level from one day to the next.  It has
mellowed out some as he's gotten bigger, but his numbers still range from 50
to 350 in any given couple of days.  Fortunately, most fall in the 100 to 200
range and his A1Cs are in the 5.7 range.