Re: [IP] Living like a DMer

Even being a pumper doesn't always make a endo sensitive to kids.  Jenna's
first endo was a Type 1,  & had a pump.  When we asked him for one, he said
no way until she was ready to be independent caring for her diabetes, about
age 14.  As I stewed, trying to figure out how I was going to get a pump for
Jenna, he left the area, and we began seeing his partner, who is not
diabetic.  The first time I called him with a problem, before we'd even had
a real visit, he said to me "What would you think about a pump?"  I almost
cried.  He told me that he thought the pump was the best thing that ever
happened for kids with diabetes, and he now has about 100 kids pumping
insulin (the youngest I know started at age 6 with a 506).  So KUDOs to Dr.
Mark Parker of Charlotte, NC, and hiss to his former partner, who shall
remain nameless . . . .

And to the moms who argue that their kids aren't ready to be independent,
but why should that matter about the pump.  I feel the very same way.  I
count the carbs, I do the mealtime math (or at this point, double check
these things, as Jenna really is getting quite good at them). I can't see
how this is different than on shots, when I counted the carbs, double
checked the syringes, etc.  So, use that arguement, it's a valid one, push
for the pump, change endos if you have to, and go for it.

Nancy Morgan, Jenna's mom, who's going to be 10 on Wednesday