[IP] High insulin doseage/ Insurance coverage for pumps

Annette wrote:

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:01:54 EDT
From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] High insulin doseage/ Insurance coverage for pumps

	I have been reading all the posts about high insulin dosages.  My 15
year old son uses 90-105 units/day (Humalog and Lente).  He is not on a pump
yet.  Does this appear to be too much insulin?  He is 5'9" and weighs about
165 pounds.  He has been on this much for about a year.  His endo has not
seemed concerned.  Anxiously awaiting our appointment in May in hopes of
getting a pump.  For the parents who need a vacation from diabetes- I hear
you.  Camp is the only time of year I feel like I can stop the 24/7
vigil/worry.  Does it ever get better?
	About insurance coverage for the pump- in anticipation of getting
one, I called our homeowner's (USAA) and was told that our regular policy
covered the pump only for theft (with a police report and all) and for loss
or breakage only if our home was involved (fire, tornado, etc).  He did say
that we could purchase a rider (I forgot the exact name of the rider) for
about $100.00/year that would cover all loss for the pump (less deductible,
of course).
Annette (KY RN- mom of 15 year old son, dx'd 8/91, hoping for a pump soon)

Annette, If your 15 year-old son is 5'9" and 165 pounds that sounds like
about the right weight, and being 15 he probably eats like a football team
so 105 units is probably right.  I would like to see this group get away
from judging insulin doses.  That is how I got my feelings hurt by a "few"
saying I need to push myself away from the table to lower mine.  If your
endo isn't concerned, you shouldn't be. I'd like to see anyone tell a
teenage boy he can't eat! <smirk>

As for the insurance, our homeowners policy covers loss for any reason.
Maybe that is why my pump is covered for loss as well as theft.  For
instance, if I drop a gallon of paint off a ladder and it stains the couch
and carpet, the insurance replaces the couch and carpet.  Maybe that type
of rider would be a better investment than one that just covers the pump.
Our policy runs about $450 per year through Commercial Union in California
(I am in Ohio) and the rider is about $50.  I hope this helps.

Kim, dx 1993, pumping 7/98, thinking of trying out that policy for a new
couch <hmmmm>  Just kidding Mr. Agent!