Re: [IP] Diabetic Study on inhaling insulin

Jeff Dempsey wrote:
> Now, that I've strayed off subject, why do we want inhalable insuin when we
> have the pump?  I understand people don't want a needle sticking out of
> them, but this seems to be a modification of the MDI plan.  The pump has
> helped me attain better control, but I'm still getting there...

I have enough respiratory problems that I don't think I'd want to trust
my body to absorb insulin properly through the lungs. I'd probably end
up hacking and coughing it all out anyway!

Actually, what I'd like is an implanted pump -- don't have to change the
set, and the insulin gets released into the right place (abdominal
cavity) to do its work without having too much insulin in the peripheral
blood vessels.

As far a better control, I'm working on it too -- I've had the pump for
a little over 3 weeks now, and I can see some places where I think I
could make some changes, but I'm sitting on my hands waiting for the
doc's appt. on Apr. 26 -- he'll just OK whatever I suggest, but I hafta
make him feel like he's a part of the team too!!!  :)

The changes I'm gonna make are minor --  increase basal from 12 M to 2
AM by .1 unit, and possibly increase it from 2 AM to 5 AM by .1 unit
also. The reason is that if I go to bed at a good number, I'll slowly
rise, pretty much all night long, and wake up 20 - 30 points higher than
I went to bed.

The Pumping Insulin book says you shouldn't rise or fall more than 30
points overnight -- I'm kind of at the cusp, but I think I could deal
with breakfast more easily if I woke up in the 90's instead of the
hundred teens or twenties. (Ignoring the occasional higher number, which
I think is a fluke!)

At the moment, I'm trying to stay under 110 before meals -- not
achieving it all the time, not by a long shot, but trying, anyway, and
under 180 after meals. I think those are reasonable goals -- and I'm not
going to get upset if I can't do it all the time, but I'm comfortable
with hitting it 75% of the time!

Type Weird, pumping!
mailto:email @ redacted

Can you find the ugly duckling? (Hint: it ainít the pumperduck!!)