[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #49

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Diabetes Vacations
> << >  I have actually taken "vacations"
>  > from being diabetic.  >>
>  And I take vacations from being a diabetic's mom:  I send Stephen to Camp
> for 2 weeks each summer.  It is my only time off.  I realize this is easier
> than having diabetes myself, but any parents out there I'm sure understands
> when I say Stephen's diabetes is my diabetes too.
> Deb

Yes, a well-deserved vacation for you both.  While you get yours, your son is
surrounded, for perhaps the only time all year, by other people who are like him.
It can be heavenly to be in that environment.

When I was 17-22 I was heavily involved in the ADA's Youth Leadership Congress, a
wonderful (sadly, no longer running, as I understand it) program for young
diabetics.  One of the most memorable scenes from my first year at Congress was
being at the U.S. Capitol for a breakfast and looking around to see about 150
people whipping out syringes and pumps.  I will never, never forget the feeling of
that moment, when I was just another person shooting up before breakfast.  Very

Enjoy those vacations, in whatever form.  They're important.