[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #47

> From: Donna <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Re: more about bras and educating the non-diabetic
> I have another dumb question,  What does brittle mean? I have heard that alot
> but no one has ever explained.
> Donna

In my opinion, it's a stupid, antiquated, disabling term that should be banned.  Yes, I
feel strongly about this.  :)  Basically, it's a word that used to be used to refer to
diabetics who had difficulty controlling their condition and who had frequent high-low
blood sugar swings.  But to label someone "brittle" seems to me like taking away their
power to control what they can.

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Re:Losing Weight/ Non-diabetics complaining
> I feel the same way when people make comments about gaining a little weight.
> Or they say you shouldn't be eating that.  I always say how would you feel if
> you had this disease.  I often say this to my mother, because she is the one
> who is usually nagging me.  If the people who nagged diabetics could just
> live with this disease for one day, they could see how hard it can be.  These
> people could feel how it feels to be 300 or 40 and not feel well at all.
> People need to learn not to say too much when diabetics have enough to deal
> with.
> Kerri (21yrs.old, diabetic 11yrs. pumping 1 month)

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

> From: "footprnt" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] I give up
> I give up too......what is a "CDE"   and "YMMV"??
> Tom

CDE = certified diabetes educator
Mine is an amazing RN who has been with me for the past 11 years and who does the bulk
of my actual diabetes care--tweaking basal rates and bolus scales, patiently explaining
medical tests, providing encouragement, etc.  If you can find a good one, hang on to
her (or him)!

> I also wanted to say that each one of us has diabetes in common, no matter
> what type it might be.  from there on everything is different.  We all react
> differently to treatment, and we all roll with the changes we need to make
> on a year to year basis.  What worked for me two years ago, isn't what is
> working for me now.  This site is great for learning new things or asking
> for help when you need it.  However, none of us can know exactly how each
> other "ticks."

Very well put and wise.  Thanks.